In 1880, three brothers from Cleveland moved their family distilling operation west to Peoria. By 1901, Warren, Franklin and Charles Corning had built Corning & Company into the largest pre-prohibition producer of whiskey in the United States.
The distillery was built on the banks of the Illinois River and quickly became one of the largest and most successful distilleries in the country. Corning & Company produced a variety of whiskeys, including Old Quaker, which was one of the most popular brands of whiskey in the United States at the time.
The distillery was also known for its innovative production methods. Corning & Company was one of the first distilleries to use silent distillation, a process that produced a very pure and smooth whiskey. The distillery also used a variety of other innovative techniques, such as using a steam-powered still and a vacuum-operated bottling system.
Corning & Company was a major employer in Peoria, and it played a significant role in the city's economy. The distillery was also a major contributor to the city's culture, and it hosted a variety of events, such as concerts, dances, and sporting events.
The distillery was forced to close during Prohibition, and it was never reopened. The buildings that once housed the distillery have since been demolished, and the site is now occupied by a shopping center.
The Corning & Company distillery was a major player in the American whiskey industry, and it played a significant role in the history of Peoria, Illinois. The distillery's legacy can still be seen in the city today, and it is a reminder of the city's once-thriving whiskey industry.